Saturday, June 9, 2012

With Her Hand in Mine...(by Michael)



Sunday, June 10th.

One day away.

Ella's 2nd birthday.

The annual FSMA IL Walk-and-Roll event.

Right before nap Ella and Henry wanted to go for a walk.  I was ready for them to go down for a nap but thought maybe a short walk would be fine.  No strollers.  No bikes.  No dog.  Just us.  Henry wanted to push Ella in her wheelchair and since she was already in it that was no problem.  We quickly left the house and began our 15 minute journey.

Ava held my hand.  Not something she's done in a long time as she usually prefers Lindsay's hand to mine.   We walked.  Pretty much in silence.  Henry concentrating on keeping Ella on the sidewalk as she giggled with delight in being pushed by her older brother; me lost in thought; Ava apparently lost in her own thoughts as well.

Right before the picture above was snapped I began to tell Ava about the Walk-and-Roll event.  I told her that some of us will walk while others will roll.  She replied by saying she was excited to see the other kids "rolling".  I told her we do this to help raise money to give to the doctors so they can help kids with SMA.  She said, "Uh huh."

After the picture was taken we resumed our walk.  Without missing a beat she asked me, "Will mommy be there tomorrow?"

This was the second mention of mommy this day.  Earlier at breakfast Ava said she missed her mommy.  I told her I did too.  The conversation went no further amidst the clean up of breakfast and playing that ensued.

My reply to her question on the walk was a simple, "No". 

Since Gramma is also away (out of town helping with the cousins) Ava keenly stated that there will be two people missing on the walk..."mommy and gramma".

"Our two favorite people." I came back at her.

"Uh huh" she said as she walked beside me, hand still wrapped in mine.

From up ahead Henry said, "Why?  Why are they missing?"

I spoke with clarity as I said, "Gramma is still with Conner and Johnny.  Mommy is still with the doctors." Hoping this would satisfy his curiosity but knowing Henry I was sure he'd press the issue.

Before Henry could interrogate me further Ava chimed in with a level of maturity that astounded me.  She took the conversation into her own hands and offered an explanation to Henry that drew me closer to my eldest.

"Henry," she began, "sometimes we have to say goodbye for a little bit.  When we go to school or play we say goodbye.  Sometimes we just have to say goodbye but we will always come back.  Right Daddy?  You and mommy will never leave us.  Right?"

I followed her lead and joined in saying, "Yes.  Sometimes we have to say goodbye...like when I go to work or mommy goes out shopping or to her book club.  And sometimes adults [grown-ups] say goodbye because they go see the doctor for a while so they can take care of themselves."

"Uh huh" she said picking it up, "because mommies and daddies take care of us."

"Yes" I said, "we do; and sometimes we need to take care of ourselves.  Mommy will be back soon."

"And she'll be the best mommy ever--just like before" added Ava.

"Uh huh." said Henry satisfied with the exchanges.

Ella kept giggling with delight as our conversation turned to less "serious" agendas.  We walked further and Ava spontaneously said, "Daddy.  I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart"



 **************************************************

You can write to Lindsay at:

Linden Oaks (EDP)
c/o Lindsay Casten
852 West St.
Naperville, IL  60540

You can check The Casten Care Calendar (updated almost daily) by clicking the following:

Link for The Casten Care Calendar

and enter the following information in the appropriate spaces:

    CALENDAR ID      :   115107
    SECURITY CODE :   6639