Wednesday, June 20, 2012

His Eyes Joined His Smile...(by Michael)


Ella is two years old...and loving every minute of it.


While on the phone this afternoon she conveniently (for her) began singing "Old MacDonald Had A Farm" in the screechiest voice she could muster.  Needless to say I had to apologize to the person on the other end and move myself away from the "serenade".  Of course, there was a smirk underneath the song and a look from daddy that said, "I know what you're doing, little girl."


Earlier in the day she made her independence known by saying "no" throughout the early afternoon and then changing her mind right away...typical behavior for a child her age but nonetheless aggravating...the same smirk and the same look ensued.


In the morning, she tested her daddy right off the bat.  She was basically impossible.  I could feel my blood pressure rising as mornings are already tough for me, as they always have been, without the added stress coming from a demanding little girl.  Luckily, however, both Ella and I caught a break before the ole' blood pressure went haywire.


It came in the form of Henry.


Right about the time my blood pressure had reached its limit as Ella was in hysterics about a baby doll Henry came midway down the stairs and stuck his face through the slats.  I spied him with his pacifier ("Paci") and his little comfort blanket ("Taggie").  I already had Ella in tears over the exchanges we had for the past several minutes and I certainly didn't want Henry to try and manipulate his way into having his Paci downstairs (that's not allowed).  Without hesitation I immediately ordered him and his Paci and Taggie back upstairs.  He went.


I felt bad.  How did I know he was going to try and manipulate me?  Maybe he just wanted to say "good morning".  I looked at Ella, tears streaming down her red face, sitting in the confining chair hooked up to her feed.  My shoulders dropped as I felt the weight of my world rest upon them.  I took a few steps to retrieve a Kleenex for her, wiped her face, looked her straight in the eye, and said, "Daddy will be right back."  She repeated the last two words as she often does.


I went to Henry.  He was sitting on his bed with Taggie and Paci.  I stormed in the room and instantly made a comment about the mess on the floor from the night before; toys, blankets, "stuff"!  He began cleaning up feverishly.  I felt bad again.


I went to the closet and looked at the clothes.  Taking some out for him and Ava I felt a slight touch on my leg.  Henry had come to me when my back was turned and reached out to touch me.


It was a soft touch yet a powerful one.  My shoulders lightened their load as I looked into the eyes of my boy.  His mouth turned slightly up in a smile yet his eyes remained consoling...he said not a word.


I sat down against the wall with my knees propped up and he found his way to me.  He hugged me.  After a few seconds I hugged him back.  He pulled from me and his eyes now joined his smile.


The rest of the day went smoothly.  


Here's to Henry.

Henry taking a nap on Sasa