Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiday Cheer (by Lindsay)

Everywhere I turn, I'm reminded that the Christmas season is upon us.

But this year, it's different.

I'm not having much Christmas cheer.

Ask anyone who knows me pretty well and they'll tell you that my favorite time of year is between Thanksgiving and New Year's. It's just always such a magical time for me.

Well, it used to be.

This year, I didn't really want to get our Christmas tree. I didn't want to put up the decorations. To me, it was all just another thing to have to do.

A chore.

I was hoping that as the time drew nearer, my feelings would change.

But they didn't.

I see and hear people talking about their Christmas shopping. I haven't started. I not only haven't started, I haven't even BEGUN to think about it. I still feel like it's early fall, not December.

I kind of wish I could skip Christmas this year. Not the "true meaning" part, just the materialistic part.

I don't want to buy gifts. I don't want to receive gifts. It's all just "stuff" to me now. And quite frankly, we already have way too much stuff taking up too much space in our already crowded house. Space that we desperately need so Ella can get around more easily.

I don't mean to be such a downer. Believe me, I'm TRYING to have some holiday cheer. Especially for the kids.

But my heart just isn't in it yet.

There's only one thing I want for Christmas this year, and it's not something I can have.