Thursday, December 22, 2011

Calendars (by Lindsay)

Yesterday I got our new 2012 calendar.

In addition to our online calendar, we have a wall calendar that I write pretty much everything we do on.  It hangs on the side of our refrigerator, so I can have quick, easy access to it.

The first thing I do when I make the switch from one year's calendar to the next is go through and write in all the obvious dates (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.).  I have the two calendars side-by-side, flipping through each month together.  Then I check our online calendar and go through and write any appointments or events that we already have scheduled for the new year.

While going through the 2011 calendar, I found myself noticing the strange progression of our year.  Early in the year, things were fairly uneventful.  But then when the summer months hit, our weeks started filling with more and more doctor appointments.

And then I came to August 12, 2011.  That dreadful day that I will never forget.  The day our lives were turned upside down.

It was hard to take my eyes away from that small white square on the 2011 calendar.

It was weird looking at the day before (the 11th, our anniversary).  We didn't know.  Yet.  We had a good suspicion, but we didn't know for sure. 

And then the weeks really started filling in.  More doctor appointments.  PT, OT and aqua therapy every week.  Dietician appointments every month.  

It was such an odd feeling looking back to those early months of 2011, when our calendar was so empty.  What did we do?  How did we spend all of that time?  

How did we feel?  I honestly can't remember what it felt like to not have SMA in our life.  I don't know if that's good or bad.

I do remember writing out all of the 2011 dates in our calendar a year ago.  I sat in the kitchen.  Today I'm in the dining room.  But a year ago, I had no idea what was really in store for us.

Who would have ever thought we'd be where we are now??  Our baby was a perfectly healthy, normally developing little girl.  

I wonder what 2012 will be like for us.  For Ella.  I wonder what our life will be like a year from now, when I'm filling out the calendar for 2013. 

I'm hopeful that good things will happen for our Squishy.  For all of us.