Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Slow Down (by Lindsay)

Today started out as one of "those" days...

A day where ALL three kids were in bad moods and taking it out on each other.  I tried helping the situation by reminding the kids that today was Wednesday...the day of the week that Gramma comes to babysit.  

But no, it didn't help.  It made it worse (I need to listen to Michael more when he tells me not to talk about exciting things too far in advance).  There is a certain little boy (I won't mention any names), who still doesn't quite get the concept of time.  So when he heard that Gramma was coming, he pretty much threw fits all morning because she wasn't here yet.  (Mom, I love you, but seriously...you have to stop being so nice to them all the time!  They love you WAY too much!)

So needless to say, it was a rough morning.  

But then we got to preschool to drop off Ava (after enduring a car ride of three screaming kids).  After giving Ava a kiss goodbye, I was stopped by the director of the school.  She handed me an envelope of money that she had been raising for Ella.  

Wow.

I didn't know what to say.  

And then she told me another piece of information.  That both Ava and Henry are invited to attend every summer camp session.  Free of charge.

Holy cow.  I'm not sure if they realize the true extent of how helpful this offer is for our family.

You could say my spirits were lifted when I walked out the door of Sky Blue Scholars.  I can't even begin to explain how incredible the staff and families are at this school.  They have gone SO FAR above and beyond anything I could have ever imagined (on TOP of being an unbelievable school to begin with!). 

Then fast forward to the afternoon...

I was driving to a doctor appointment (by myself), when I got pulled over for speeding.

Whaaaaaaaat?!?

I have only been pulled over once before in my ENTIRE driving career of 15 years.

I was definitely going above the speed limit (along with everyone else...I know, I know, not an excuse). 

But as soon as I saw the police officer pull a u-turn and start to follow me, I had that immediate feeling of, "Oh crap, I'm totally busted."

Anyway, I've always thought to myself that I would never cry to get out of a ticket.  I didn't cry that first time years ago, and I wasn't going to today.  After all, I did break the law, so I shouldn't try to get out of it.

When the officer approached my window, I remembered that the guy at the Honda dealer told us to drive very carefully in this Odyssey.  Because technically, we already traded it in, so it doesn't belong to us.  And if we ever got pulled over, it would show that it belongs to Honda (and not us), so things could get a little tricky (i.e. it would look like we stole the car).  

Fabulous.

So of course, I wanted to explain the situation before the officer had a chance to realize it.  And of course, as soon as I opened my mouth, the tears started building.  None of them actually spilled over, but it was incredibly obvious how hard I was trying to fight it. 

Ugh.

Luckily, he was very respectful and didn't even need to see the "rental agreement" from Honda.

He took my license, went back to his cruiser, and after what seemed like 2 hours, came back with a only warning for me (and said, "Just slow down a little," with a smile).    



Phew!!

However, the encounter definitely didn't help my doctor appointment any, because now I was late, and one of the things they were checking was my blood pressure.  Awesome.

You guessed it...it was significantly higher than normal (148/85 to be exact).  So I had to explain to my doctor the events that led up to the appointment and she had me go sit and relax in the waiting room for a half hour to try to get it back down (and it worked...114/68).  

Ahhhhhh.

So it's been an eventful day, that overall turned out much better than some of the events would lead one to believe.

And if I've learned anything...I need to SLOW DOWN.  Probably in many more areas than just driving :)