Friday, April 20, 2012

The Music (by Lindsay)

Music is very powerful.  I've always enjoyed listening to it.


I am moved by a variety of genres of music.  It all depends on my mood, the circumstances, etc.


Since Ella's diagnosis, I started taking walks.  We've always gone for walks as a family during the spring, summer and fall months (weather permitting), but late last fall, I started taking some walks by myself (but with our dog, Sasa, of course!).


What started as just a little "break" turned into therapy.  My walks were getting longer and longer (up to about 5 miles) and became an almost daily ritual (although lately I haven't been able to go as frequently).  I always go at the same time of day (right after dinner) and while I'm gone for the hour or so, Michael bathes all three kids and gets them ready for bed.  I come home just in time to give them each a kiss goodnight.


The walking has been so good for so many reasons.  It's exercise (great for Sasa, too!).  I get that little "break" during the day.  Michael gets some alone time to bond with the kids.  I'm able to have an uninterrupted hour with my thoughts.  I always come home feeling so refreshed.


And then there is the music.  I don't think I could go for my walks without the music.


I've had several different playlists added to my phone since I started these walks.  The songs are all motivating to me in some way or another.  Many are upbeat and fast paced...allowing me to almost dance as I walk (good thing it's usually dark outside!).  Others are darker songs, which help me if I'm mad and just need that time to be angry (and get it out of my system).  And then some are more beautiful and help me to recognize the incredible things in my life and in this world.  Like I said, my mood is what determines what I listen to.  But almost always, there are one or two songs that REALLY speak to me in any given point in time.


And right now, this is that song that's helping me through the tough days...