Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Lindsay's Update...by Lindsay

Sorry for not updating sooner...I've been super busy with different doctors in and out almost constantly, PT/OT work, finally getting some decent sleep, and having lots of visitors (thank you - I LOVE seeing people!❤️). I've finally turned the corner managing the crazy pain after the surgery (not even needing IV pain meds anymore!), and have become a lot more active...practicing getting dressed, walking around the unit using a walker, etc. Also, I just received the pathology report from the amputation, and the incision site showed NO sign of infection, so it has been eliminated!!! (I cried tears of joy ☺️)

This morning I was approved to go to Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital (part of Northwestern Medicine) in Wheaton for the next two weeks. I will most likely be transferring there tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday). I've met with a couple doctors/team members from Marianjoy, and they will be working me hard (good!!) for "pre-prosthetic" training (they said that walking with a prosthetic leg will take about 40% more energy than with two healthy legs, so I need to build up some serious strength & endurance, and work a lot on increasing balance). I was told there is no such thing as "over-doing it" with an amputation...the more you do, the faster you heal (music to my ears) πŸ‘ I will have around 3 ½ hours of therapy per day (PT, OT, plus other therapies to help teach my brain that my lower leg is no longer there - this will help with the very bizarre "phantom pain"). Other than that, it will be like any typical hospital (I'll have my hospital room, be monitored by doctors & nurses, medications managed, etc.). But I can also have visitors, and things will be more consistent since I'll have a therapy "schedule," so feel free to come say "hi" (I miss the world)!! πŸ‘‹

In about 2-3 weeks, I should be able to have the staples removed from the amputation incision, and assuming the swelling has gone down enough, I can start the fitting process for my first "temporary" prosthesis. Then there will be more therapies to learn how to walk/be active with an artificial leg. Once I've gotten that down, I'll be fitted for my permanent prosthetic leg (super customized for my needs). After that, watch out world!!! πŸ˜ŠπŸƒπŸΌ‍♀️🚴🏼‍♀️πŸ§—πŸΌ‍♀️🏊🏻‍♀️🏌🏼‍♀️🀸🏼‍♀️πŸ‘

Anyway, thank you ALL again (and again, and again!) for so much incredible support, kind thoughts & words, and prayers! YOU have been helping me (and my family) get through this challenging time. And thank you so much to everyone who has provided meals, gift cards, donations, help at our house or with the kids, etc. (you know who you are, as do we). I wish I could send out individual "thank you's" to all of you, but the support has been so unbelievable, I can't even begin to keep up. So THANK YOU all!! πŸ˜Š❤️πŸ™