Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Hard to See the Light...(by Michael)

The only sound in the house is the washing machine doing its work. The kids are off at camp and Lindsay is in the hospital. The dogs follow me around the house wherever I go--they know something's up. When I ask them where Ava, Henry, Ella and mommy are, they tilts their heads and look toward the front door.

Lindsay's kidney surgery went well. They removed the tumor and 5% of her kidney. The recovery, however, has been very rough for her. When we met with the surgeon a few weeks ago he said he would make five small incisions in her abdomen. Right before surgery (in pre-op) they told her it'll feel like five stab wounds. She wasn't expecting it to hurt as much as it does. It hurts her to talk, laugh, or move. She is being discharged today (Wednesday, July 10) and will complete her recovery at home. She has a hard time getting in and out of bed as she must use her core to do so---and it is very sore and painful. I went to IKEA and, using donation money, purchased an electric reclining chair for her to use. This will help her get from a lying position to a sitting position without having to use her core muscles.

I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel but sometimes it's hard to see it. Lindsay's been in pain for years now and it's difficult to watch her continue to be in that pain. We thought everything would get better after the amputation of her lower right leg but that's not the case. She recently had the surgery for her left knee (meniscus tear) and, since it's the only leg she has to use for walking, it is taking longer to heal and gives her much pain. On top of that, she's dealing with the core pain with every movement she makes from the recent kidney surgery.  And she now has one more surgery to go through, as an out-patient procedure, to address the abnormal cells and tumor in her uterus.

I had the house to myself for two days and used the time to patch some holes in the walls, mow the lawn, and do a little power washing of the exterior of the house. Anything to keep things off my mind for a bit. But, of course, reality still sits there staring me in the face. I know what I have to do...take care of my family and make sure everyone's as healthy as they can be. 

The kids will be home from camp over the weekend and the house will once again return to its crazy self. There won't be a shortage of things to do on my part. Hopefully, by the end of the summer, we'll have all of this behind us and we can then move forward heading into Fall.

Potter and Ginny waiting for their mama!