Friday, December 13, 2013

That's Right, Who Wouldn't? (by Michael)

My intention was to go to Wendy's with Ava, Henry, & Ella.

I pulled onto the entrance street of the restaurant only to see a boarded up building.  A sign flapped in the wind and read, "Closed for Renovations".  The three kids and I were disappointed; but more so we were hungry.

Without thinking I said, "We can find another Wendy's or McDonald's or something."  Once the word "McDonald's"  left my breath all three kids screamed, "YAY" and Henry said, "I just saw one over there and it has a playground!!"

The McDonald's playground.  Every kid loves the McDonald's playground.  Who wouldn't?  You get to take off your shoes and climb, jump, slide, and be silly knowing that a McDonald's meal was either just enjoyed or is coming soon.

Who wouldn't?  

This is SMA.  A child who has every mental capability fully intact.  A child who has every desire as any other child.  A child with the urge to play, to move, to command her world...but cannot.  Not for lack of will.  Not for lack of desire.  Not for lack of creativity.  But for lack of motor neurons.

Despite not having the climbing, sliding, and jumping available to her, Ella wanted to sit on the McDonald's playground.  She wanted to be a part of it in some way.  Many children stopped and stared at us.  They glanced at her wheelchair then back at her and back again.  They were undoubtedly trying to figure it out...for to them I'm sure she certainly looked like she could easily get up and walk. Each time they stopped I said, "Hello" and Ella followed suit. 

She wanted me to stay with her, "In case someone knocks into me and I fall." she told me.  So I did.  Other parents watched us interact and when our adult eyes met there came a smile of encouragement from those I saw; for they knew that whatever my child was suffering from, it was something serious.  

I sat and played with her while Ava and Henry played all over the playground.  She enjoyed herself as we sat there.  She danced her little "sitting wiggle" dance, she giggled and laughed, she leaned on me and hugged me, she scooted so her legs dangled over the side, and of course, she wanted her shoes off--just like everyone else.  

I didn't want to go to a McDonald's that had a playground.  Or if it did have a playground I didn't want to allow my kids to play there...I thought it would be too hard for Ella; or maybe I thought it would be too hard for me.  I knew this was unfair, to all of us, so I set aside my feelings and allowed my kids to be kids...to be who they are; SMA or no SMA.

I guess it's about meeting SMA where it's at and then taking hold of it, owning it, and working with what you have.  How funny that a three-and-half year old just simply knows this.