Friday, April 12, 2013

As I Look...(by Michael)

My computer at work has a picture of Lindsay and me on our wedding day as its desktop picture.  I get to see my beautiful wife throughout my workday as well as travel back to a time that seems, in retrospect, so much simpler.

I look at our eyes in the picture, for they say that the eyes are the "windows to the soul", and I see eager anticipation.  I see two people who found each other in a world that is complicated and unpredictable.  For myself, I had found someone after many years of searching, waiting, and wondering.  I had found someone with whom I knew was to be with me until the end of time.  I feel the same sentiment from her...each and every day.

I look at the picture and I can see our optimism.  I can see that we had no clue, no idea, no inkling of what our lives would become after we were to leave that church.  Honestly speaking, I wouldn't change it for the world.

We have three beautiful children.  Each one of them a pleasure to know.  They have given us a way of looking at the world that has long since been gone from our psyches;  the perspective from a child's vantage point...one of innocence and unconditional love.  Wonderment and idealism fills their world and they share that with us.

We have family and friends that care for us in a myriad of ways.  The celebration of our marriage on August 11, 2006 has carried over through the years as we have celebrated the births of our children, the holiday traditions (both old and new), and the good times we share.  Life is certainly unpredictable and throughout the times that have been the most difficult we have leaned on one another, seeking and receiving comfort and consolation, help and assistance, goodwill and prayers, from our family and friends.

We live in a community that can and will provide an extraordinary education for all of our children.  Recently we completed the initial interview for Ella's (and Henry's) new preschool (The Ann Reid Early Childhood Center) and will put together her IEP (Individualized Education Plan) in late April.  We were quite impressed with the whole system.  We live in a community that  enriches our lives through excellent programs; a community that bestowed upon us the wonderful church we attend; a community that offers accessibility for Ella so she can play and interact alongside Ava and Henry. 

We have one another.  Five people living together. Living with the looming disease known as SMA.  Each one of us handles the disease differently yet I can feel, I can sense, a unity among us.  We laugh, we cry, we yell, we sing, we play, we work, we help, we argue, we pray.  And we do these together.  We are a family.

On the day we were married Lindsay and I had no idea what was to be in our future.  As I write this blog, I've no idea what is to become of the future.  Sometimes I am optimistic and other times I am not.  I do know one thing...

...as I look at that picture on my desktop at work (the one at the end of this blog) I know, deep in my heart and through the essence of my soul, that we are meant for one another...we are supposed to be here, at this place, at this time, with one another.  Our children, too, are meant for us and us for them.  Whatever happens, however things develop, one truth rings...we will always have each other.