Sunday, August 21, 2011

From 3 Seconds to a Lifetime (by Michael)

Picture a beautiful summer evening, we're sitting out on the deck enjoying each other's company after a delicious meal prepared by Lindsay.  I've been gone all day at work so we are catching up on our daily doings.

We have a round outdoor table that we sit at while on our deck.  Henry sits next to me (on my right) and across from Lindsay.  Ava sits next to Henry and Lindsay while Ella sits in-between Lindsay and me in her highchair.  A cozy arrangement that we like very much.

Ella finished her dinner and was beckoning to go into the baby pool that was filled with small plastic balls, maybe 100 of them, instead of water...a homemade ball pit, if you will.  We obliged and she sat amongst the colorful balls making her happy sounds.

I was finishing the green beans (straight out of the pot they were cooked in--yes--everyone else was finished with them!) and Lindsay was sitting peacefully talking with Ava.

From behind Henry flew a bee.  Both Lindsay and I caught a glimpse of it as it headed toward our cozy table; it was rather large and travelled quite fast.  My first instinct was to move since it looked like it was coming straight at me.  Instead, it took a sharp turn in between me and Henry and flew itself right toward Henry's left eye.

I saw the bee as it went full speed into my boy's face.  The pot I was holding was let go with authority.  I thrusted my right hand toward his face.  I could see the bee's wings violently fluttering as Henry started to scream.  I couldn't go fast enough.  With the back of my hand I swiped at Henry's face, turning my palm toward it at just the precise moment to protect him from taking a "hit" from daddy, but also making sure to cup the kamikaze bee, swiping it away from him.  I felt the horrid insect in my palm as I ripped it from my child's eye.  With my other hand I grabbed behind Henry's head and brought it down to further protect him.  My body now in between Henry and any further danger.

By this time Lindsay was on us.  She grabbed Henry and whisked him away from the danger, holding him close to her body, burying his head in the loving yet forceful grasp of her arms.  He screamed in pain letting us know that the bee had indeed stung him.

That whole affair happened in a matter of 3 seconds.

The overwhelming urge to protect Henry grabbed hold of Lindsay and me and didn't let go until we knew our son was out of danger.

The sting was right below his eyebrow. Within seconds it swelled up.  Ice was applied and our doctor was called.  Instead of calling us back, the operator put us in direct contact with our nurse...being Henry's first bee sting, we had the help and information we needed quickly.

Once everything was settled down I began thinking about something...

Whether the danger is immediate and requires fast action--as in "right now", or if it is a danger that may have an effect over time~~the instinct to protect, care for, comfort, and do whatever it takes to keep our kids out of danger is what we rely on.

The instinct we showed for Henry when that bee attacked him is not unlike the instinct we show (and will continue to show) for Ella as she faces the dangers of SMA in her life.

*Our focus was intensely on Henry for those 3 seconds that he needed us the most.
*Our focus (without taking away from the others) will be on Ella for as long as she needs us...her entire life.

*Our concern for our own physical comfort became second only to Henry's need for us to act on his behalf against that bee.
*Our concern for our own physical comfort has become second only to the physical, emotional, and social comforts we will provide for Ella as she battles her SMA.

*Our desire to whisk Henry away and cradle him in our arms came without hesitation.
*Our desire to hold Ella closely to us, physically, emotionally, and spiritually comes without hesitation.

*Our being able to reach our doctor quickly to elicit the help we needed for Henry was comforting.
*Knowing that we have an incredible support system that is being built for Ella through friends, family, church, work, doctors, therapists, and strangers is quite comforting.

Our entire family is emerging into the life that we never expected to be living.  We are headed in a direction that will take us along paths whose destinations currently elude us.  We look to each other and those who surround us for help.

The instinct to protect our children is strong and carries with it much emotion; sometimes many at the same time.  As Lindsay and I traverse through this sea of feelings we carry with us the lives that we have created...we love them, we cherish them, and we honor their time with us.


Henry Michael Casten
The "bee" aftermath
Ella Sabine Casten--Getting fitted for her AFOs (Ankle-Foot Orthotics)