Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother of the Year on Mother's Day (by Lindsay)

We have had a very nice Mother's Day weekend.


It started for me yesterday with an INCREDIBLE day at the spa (thank you, Ella's Angels!!!).  I had a day of rest and relaxation, which included a mani/pedi, swedish massage, and hair cut & style (with a delicious lunch in between)!  It was pure bliss to say the least.  I came home feeling utterly refreshed and rejuvenated.  It was just what I needed :)


This morning we enjoyed the early church service and then went off to The Morton Arboretum for a picnic with my parents, sister and brother-in-law.  It was a beautiful day with beautiful company :)


Later today, we took a nice walk as a family and when we came home we decided to continue to enjoy this beautiful weather out on our deck.  Ava and Henry were playing in the yard, while Ella, Michael and I were each sitting on our own chair on the deck (Ella was just about finished with her late afternoon tube-feed).


After a few moments, Ella decided she wanted to "Sit Daddy!" (a VERY common occurrence as she has quite the obsession with Michael).  


I decided I would pick Ella up from her chair and place her on Michael's lap, as it can sometimes be a little hard to pick her up yourself to then sit back down with her.  


As soon as I started to lift her, I felt a slight tug and then heard a "pop".  I assumed her feeding bag tube pulled off of her extension tube.  Then Ella started screaming and Michael immediately yelled, "It's off!! It's off!!"


I looked down, and formula was projectile pouring out of the place where Ella's g-tube button had been.  That's right..."had" been.  


The tube had gotten stuck on the chair and when I lifted her, it pulled the button (balloon and all) right out of her little tummy :(


Oh. My. Gosh.  How's that for Mother of the Year?!?  I felt AWFUL.


We've heard this can happen.  But there was so much coming out of her belly (including some blood) and we didn't know if/when it would stop and if we should put her in our car.  So we immediately applied pressure to the hole and called 911.  The EMTs came over and by the time they got there, the fluid had stopped coming out.  Phew!


But we had to get to the hospital quickly so that the opening didn't close back up, requiring her to have the g-tube surgery redone.  Since the surgery was so recent, it could close very quickly.  


I decided to take her myself, rather than her go in the ambulance, since the fluid had stopped coming out.


We got to the ER at Edward Hospital (I had grabbed her spare MIC-Key g-tube just in case) and we were immediately brought back to a room, despite the unusually crowded waiting room.


One of the first questions out of the nurse's mouth was, "You don't happen to know the size of Ella's g-tube button, do you?"


I replied, "No, I'm sorry, I don't.  But I brought her extra one here in this box."


The nurse's face lit up as she said, "You don't know how much easier you have just made this for us!!  You definitely get Mother of the Year!  And on Mother's Day, too!"


Ha.  Yes, because I'm the reason we're here in the first place...


But maybe it helped even it out a bit.  Maybe ;)


Anyway, our sweet Squishy was the usual trooper, of course.  And as always, everyone was completely blown away by her vocabulary :)


Within a few minutes, they had the new g-tube put in (with NO problems) and we were out the door within 30 minutes of arriving.


At some point, we'll be taught how to change the g-tube button ourselves, so if this ever happens again (hopefully not!) we can save ourselves the trip to the ER!


So even though we had a little unexpected (but brief) panic, all-in-all, it was a pretty good Mother's Day weekend :)


After arriving at the ER

All done!