Sunday, May 6, 2012

Little Miss Independent (by Lindsay)

We've had a very busy week!  Almost every day we spent out and about, letting Ella enjoy her new independence in her power chair, and let me tell you...it's been a blast!


I don't think I've been filled with this much joy since before Ella's diagnosis of SMA back in August.


To be honest, I was a little nervous to get the new car.  I was scared to think about what it meant to have this handicap accessible van.  I was scared to take Ella out in public in this massive power chair.


But the first time we were out, something was immediately different.  Ella was independent.  I mean TRULY independent in controlling where she went.  And it was the most incredible feeling.


My heart felt so full of light.  Of happiness.  Of the purest joy.  Seeing her maneuver all by herself like this out in public was something we've never experienced before.


There are two particularly positive moments that really stand out for me from this past week.  The first is when I had to chase Ella through the parking lot at Target...like a normal almost-two-year-old!  It was fantastic :)  But I quickly learned that when we are in parking lots, Mommy is in control of the joystick :)


And the second moment was when we were at the Morton Arboretum.  Ava and Henry ran up ahead of Ella and me, then they stopped, turned around and yelled, "Come on, Ella!"  Ella's face lit up and she pushed the joystick to catch up with her brother and sister.  Something she's never been able to do.  It brought tears to my eyes.


THIS is how Ella will be getting around from now on.  And she's an absolute pro at it :)  And to see the happiness in HER is so incredible...I can't even begin to put it into words.


So enough with the words...here are some pictures and videos of our new Little Miss Independent!


*If you have trouble viewing any of the videos, click on their title to watch them via YouTube's website.


Playing the xylophone at the Arboretum


Ava explaining Ella's chair to two curious older girls :)


Our three sweeties, ready for a picnic lunch.






Shopping at Whole Foods





Attention Target shoppers!




Feeling right at home at church


Getting ready to go find our seats before the service.




Standing tall and watching the subs being made at Jersey Mike's