Saturday, June 6, 2015

8 Years (by Lindsay)

It's been eight years.

I've been a stay-at-home mom for eight years. 

It's been a blessing.  It's been amazing.  It's been rewarding.

But it's time.  It's time for more than that.  I'm ready.

With all three kids being in full day school next year, I decided to apply for work outside the home.  In the past few weeks, I've been hired for two positions!

The first is a position at our church (St. Timothy Lutheran Church in Naperville).  I will be the new Children's Ministry Coordinator!  Our church is like our second family.  The amount of love and support we receive from them is incredible, to say the least.  I'm honored to run the Sunday School Program as well as head up the Advent celebration and Vacation Bible School.  I will be working closely with those who I have grown to love and could not be more excited!  It's a role that requires about 10 hours per week and I've already started some preparations for Sunday School and I'm loving every second of it!

But I knew I could do (and needed) more.  With a background in education, I wanted to get back in the classroom.  I'm not ready for a role as a lead teacher yet (with the extra planning and preparation outside of school hours), but I miss working in a classroom environment. So I thought long and hard about what might be a good fit, and yesterday I was offered (and accepted) the position of an assistant teacher at the Ann Reid Early Childhood Center here in Naperville!

Ann Reid is the most incredible school!  Ella has spent the last two years there, and I have yet to find a staff member who is less than exceptional! Ella grew and developed in ways that we never thought possible! It truly is an amazing school!  And with it being less than five minutes from our house, I knew it would be the perfect fit!

So come August 19th, I will be a full-time working mom and I could not be more thrilled!  I will be in the classroom working with children and adults, as well as have the planning and organizing piece that I love from my position at church.

It will be an adjustment for sure.  We will have to learn how to juggle laundry, cleaning, shopping, cooking, etc. But I'm sure we'll get into a rhythm in no time :) Our kids are super excited for me to start this next chapter of our lives!

One other piece to consider is that while I will be able to walk the kids to school in the morning before I head to work, we will need to hire someone to walk them home after school.  The kids are dismissed from school at 2:30 pm, and I will not return home from work until 3:00pm. So we are looking to hire someone for those 30 minutes each day after school. 

Our first thought was to seek out a high school student, as it might be the perfect way for them to make a little extra cash!  But unfortunately, the high schools dismiss their students later than the elementary schools.  So another thought we had would be to possibly find a local college student. 

If we have a hard time finding someone who is able to pick the kids up every day, we are more than willing to have different people pick them up on different days.  My mom has even offered to pick them up once a week (so I guess we only need to fill the other four days).  If anyone knows of someone who might be a good fit, please let us know!  They won't have to do any feeds for Ella (I'll be able to do her afternoon feed when I get home), but the person might have to help Ella if she needs to use the bathroom (chances are she'll be able to hold it until I get home).  Any references would be greatly appreciated!!

So it's on to the next chapter and I can't WAIT to start!!