Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Each in Their Own Way...(by Michael)

She looks to us and we look to others...


I sat with a friend today. I sat with two. Then it turned to three.


Our conversation started with silence.  My friend and I looked at each other, allowing our eyes to speak for us.  We have always had something to say to each other in the past; over the years many good times and not-so-good times have crossed our respective paths.  We've always talked, always laughed, always been there for each other.  It was the same today but in the atmosphere of silence.  


When the silence was broken we sought & found each word spoken the best we could to connect our thoughts, our ideas, and our beliefs.  That's what friends are for.


Time passed and I sat with another friend.  She is my best friend and I love her dearly.  We talked about how Ella has been working really hard with her new physical therapy.  We were filled with pride and joy for our little girl.  We know that her exercises, future equipment, and perseverance is what will make all the difference in the world for her--the difference between life and death.  Glimpses of hope amidst the heartache of a terminal disease drive us forward.  I watched Lindsay as she told me how well Ella did today with her therapy; how Ella is forming a close relationship with her therapist, and how after each session there is a feeling of hope and encouragement. Lindsay's smile lit up my heart and her eyes met my soul with hope.  I thought back to what another friend had said earlier that day while sharing with me a moment of celebration over Ella's physical therapy accomplishments, "Each step, one at a time."...this how we are to approach our life with SMA.


Later, in the evening, we both sat with yet another friend.  We planned out the upcoming weekend as we approach my sister-in-law's wedding.  Our friend will be helping us take care of the kids since Lindsay is part of the wedding party. The bonding that took place between our friend and Ella (as well as Ava & Henry) was inspiring to watch.  Our kids gravitated toward her from the moment she stepped in the house.  Her world became all about them and she spoke to them in a manner that very few people can do so readily with kids.  She held Ella with a natural tendency and Ella responded with love and affection.


All of our friends, whether they sit in silence with us, give us a piece of their personal life-experience, or bring our kids into their hearts, make a difference in how we get through every day.


That's what friends are for.