Thursday, January 29, 2015

Isn't God Strong?...(by Michael)




Ella has asked me certain types of questions twice in the past week.  Each time she inquires of me it's always when we're alone and I'm helping her with some daily activity of life.

"Why did God make me with SMA?" was the first question she uttered.  Of course, I hadn't an answer right at that moment...probably because I'm not too sure myself.  My answer came quickly saying, "I'm not sure, honey."  I continued to help her and she carried the conversation in a different direction...I obliged.

Then, not two days later, she began to ask the same question.  But I suspect she knew what my answer was going to be so she stopped mid-question.  This time though, at least as she began to utter her words, I felt that I had to provide more than a "I'm not sure, honey" response.  

But her words stifled in mid-air and she quickly changed the question to, "Isn't God strong?"

A bit surprised at the question I replied, "Yes, very strong."

"Super strong?  Like--stronger than anything?" she continued.

"God is all-powerful." I replied.

"If He's so strong, why can't He stop the SMA?" she quizzed me.

This question was harder than the first one from a few days ago.  As if on automatic pilot I continued to help her with her task.  My eyes fixated on the corner of the room and my mind cleared itself...waiting for an answer that I could relay to her.  

"He can stop it." I said.

"Then why doesn't He?" she persisted.

Again, the questions are getting a bit harder with each exchange.  She looked at me and I saw in her eyes the need for an answer...an answer that would give her something to hold on to.  

"He is." I found myself telling her.

"He is??" she asked,  "How?"

"He's using the doctors to help Him do His work." were the words that rolled off my tongue.

Without missing a beat she came back at me with her little voice, "Why does He need the doctors if He's strong enough Himself?"  

"Because He wants us to try and be strong, just like He is." was my response.

"So because He's strong, He want us to be strong, too?" she surmised.

"Yes.  He does." I confirmed.

"OK" she said.

From there the conversation changed as quickly as it came.  

She found her answer and I found out that He was right...the Spirit will guide us in all things.