Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Dailey Method (by Lindsay)

Since Ella's diagnosis, we have been supported on so many levels and blessed in so many ways.  Sometimes it's hard to wrap our heads around the unbelievable generosity of others.



The Dailey Method is a workout that is a combination of ballet barre work, core conditioning, muscle strengthening, yoga and orthopedic exercises.  I had heard about it from a friend of mine, Kim (Ava took a ballet class with her daughter when they were two years old), who became an instructor at the Naperville location.  Other than that, I wasn't very familiar with The Dailey Method.

Last fall, we were contacted by Normal Moments (the organization that provided us with a weekly volunteer), telling us that The Dailey Method of Naperville would like to sponsor our family for Christmas (they usually didn't receive requests for specific families).  The Dailey Method of Naperville had heard about Ella (no doubt from my friend), and they wanted to help.

And boy did they help.

In addition to providing our children with the most incredible Christmas they could have asked for, Colleen (the owner of The Dailey Method of Naperville) gave Michael and I a free unlimited membership to her studio.

We were shocked.  We weren't expecting anything for ourselves, just the kids.  Colleen had come to our house to drop off the gifts for the kids and she stayed for quite a while getting to know us.  We instantly felt a connection.  At one point, Colleen said that she felt that she was meant to be a part of our family's life.

We thanked Colleen for her incredible generosity, and she went on her way.  Michael and I looked at each other, thinking, "Did that really just happen?"  We know how costly exercise programs could be.  After all, in the beginning of last fall, we joined a gym in order to help us gain the strength we will need to care for Ella as she grows.  But after only a month, we realized that it was not something we could support with our current budget, so we cancelled our membership.  So for someone that we just met to offer us something so incredible, it made us speechless.

We didn't start going to The Dailey Method right away.  With Ava and Henry's school pick-up/drop-off times and Ella's nap time, it was difficult for me to find a class time that would work in that schedule.  But recently (about a month ago), I decided it was time to make it work.  

The first class I attended was taught by Colleen.  When I arrived, I received the warmest welcome by her.  My friend, Kim, was also there :)  I didn't really know what to expect with this workout.  

All I can say is that it was HARD.  But hard in a very good way.  There were many exercises that I couldn't do.  Not because they hurt, but because my body was physically unable to do it at that point.

I was incredibly sore the next day.  But I kept going.  

The first week I went three times (that was my goal for myself, as I've never been much of a "workout" person).  But after those three times, I started to crave it more.  I felt so GOOD after a class.  Both physically and emotionally.  These workouts require a HUGE amount of concentration.  You have to focus entirely on what you are doing, which means it completely takes me away from anything else.  Any stress, fatigue, worry, etc. that I feel just slips away during these classes.

After those first three classes, I have been going almost every day ever since.  I love having The Dailey Method being part of my daily routine.  I've found times that work for our schedule, and I bring the kids with me (to the Kids Room) almost every time.  And they love it, too!  And every person who has worked in the Kids Room has been phenomenal (and impressed) with Ella!

In addition to the workouts being incredible, the people are amazing, too!  It truly is a family over there.  Everyone knows everyone else, and it is such a positive environment!  Every time I go there, I am greeted in the kindest way and I feel like I am such a part of this close-knit family.  It's absolutely wonderful.

Michael will soon be joining me in my daily doses of Dailey (this summer).  I can't wait for him to feel the many benefits of this workout!  Not only are we making ourselves physically stronger to help care for Ella, we are making ourselves emotionally stronger.

I will be forever grateful to Colleen and everyone else at The Dailey Method of Naperville.  I could never thank them enough for their incredible generosity that has helped me in so many ways.