Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lots of Updates (by Lindsay)

We have several different updates...

First, our basement renovation is under way!

So far the bar has been taken out and was replaced with new cabinets/counter top.  Also, our non-functional closet has been split into two and shelving has been added.

Tomorrow (Friday), painting will begin and will continue into next week.

On Saturday, the pool table will be taken out and moved to Michael's brother's house.  We're sad to see it go, but glad that it will stay in the family!  We look forward to shooting some pool at Andrew's house in the near future!  

At the end of next week, we will be getting the new wood-laminate flooring that will allow Ella to move around in her wheelchair (the most important renovation)!

So by next weekend, our basement project should be finished!

On another note, in the past seven months, Ella has barely gained one pound :(  

However, a month ago, her dietitian suggested that we add cornstarch to her daily formula (it supposedly helps her to use proteins more efficiently) and she gained seven ounces just this month!! Very good news!

Finally, an update on Ella's progress...with the holiday activities, we ended up missing some of Ella's therapies and we weren't able to work as much on her standing and walking as we had been.  Unfortunately, Ella has regressed a bit :(  She can no longer stand at a table unassisted and her assisted walking has become more difficult for her.  Our thoughts and hopes are that this regression is only due to the fact that we haven't been working as much with her over the past few weeks.  We are now back to working with her daily, hoping she regains her lost strength and continues to improve!


One last update...I don't think I ever posted this on the blog, but I injured my ankle in gymnastics about two months ago.  Since then I have been in a walking boot cast and have had physical therapy.  Luckily, I am pain free as far as day-to-day activities are concerned, however, I am still feeling sharp pain if I bend my ankle to a certain degree.  So I have been unable to return to gymnastics to this point. I am hoping that the pain will eventually go away, but my podiatrist told me there is a chance that my ankle will not be able to support the pounding of gymnastics again :(  I am hoping and praying that I will be able to return, as gymnastics has been such a wonderful activity for me (on so many levels).