Tuesday, October 2, 2012

One Foot in Front of the Other (by Lindsay)

I'm excited.  Really excited :)  

Less than a week ago, at Ella's clinic appointment at Lurie Children's Hospital, we were told to practice the walking movement with Ella.  

So we have been.  And she's learning.

Basically we've been holding her around the waist and shifting her weight for her while she attempts to slide one foot in front of the other.

But today her therapist let us borrow her set of parallel bars to try out at home.  Ella couldn't wait to get home to try to stand with her "bars".  

Well, she blew me away, as usual.  I put her extra braces on for the added support and the moment I put her between the bars, she knew exactly what to do.  She immediately placed her hands on the bars and stood.  By herself.  With no problem whatsoever.  



Then I came behind her and held her waist like I have been, but this time she started to shift her weight herself.  I still had to hold her for stability, but she initiated the motion.  She continued to "walk" along the entire length of the parallel bars.  While I supported her, she shifted her weight and kicked her legs, one in front of the other.

Go Ella!!